Forlì Campus

The Forlì Campus premises occupy an historical building in Corso della Repubblica: Palazzo Montanari
Palazzo Montanari
Palazzo Montanari

Palazzo Montanari

The building was erected in 1939-40 for the wealthy timber merchant Aurelio Montanari (after whose daughter it was named). The architect, Galliano Rabbi, belonged to the practice of Ingegner Calvitti.

From the plans, at least, it would appear to be a radical conversion of a previous building. This was raised by one floor, extended towards the courtyard and rearranged spatially and divided up differently, as well as being given a new decorative styling.

After 1974 it was bequeathed to the Santarelli nursery school and in the Eighties became a secondary school annexed to the Art Institute, after indoor refurbishing and division into classrooms.

Since 1990 it has housed SSLMIT, now the Forlì Campus premises of the School of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Interpreting and Translation.

The three-storey building with its monumental stairway and open courtyard giving onto a garden is in modernist style, with neo-sixteenth-century features after the manner of brother architect Cesare Bazzani, though somewhat less skilfully brought off.

The broad three-storey façade has the ground floor clad in rusticated white stonework. Four widely-spaced arched windows recall the original vaulted shop fronts, and set among them is the main central portal between pilaster strips, surmounted by a full-width balcony. The upper storey windows form a stone-framed fascia relieved by a ground of simple brickwork.

The great staircase in mottled white marble is a handsome feature rising three flights amid open surrounds dominated by a large canvas from the Bolognese eighteenth century depicting a landscape.

A gallery of arcades on slender stone pillars runs along the courtyard side.

We thank Dr. Gianluca Brusi for these historical notes